Reports have begun to roll in that some concealed carry licensees have begun to receive notices from the Illinois State Police, that it is time to renew their concealed carry licenses. The earliest date reported on these renewal letters is November 23rd, 2018. These letters include information for the licensee on how and when to renew, but it is important to note that not all licensees have received these letters.
Illinois concealed carry licenses were first issued in February of 2014, and are valid for a period of 5 years. The Illinois State Police released the concealed carry license renewal certificate and begun allowing instructors to teach concealed carry renewal classes in September of 2018.
The concealed carry renewal letter sent by the Illinois State Police reads as follows…
Dear, Licensees Name
Illinois State Police records indicate your current Firearm Concealed Carry License (CCL) card #…. is scheduled to expire on MM/DD/YEAR. To renew your CCL card, please visit the Illinois State Police website at www.ispfsb.com. If you have not logged into the online portal since March 2015, you will first need to register as a new user as our login requirements have changed. Please have your Driver’s License or state-issued photo identification card available while you are completing your application. You can find additional tips for completing your renewal application located on the back of this page. If you do not have access to a computer, you may call the Firearms Services Bureau center at 217-782-7980, to begin your alternate paper application.
All payments will be processed electronically using the state of Illinois Treasurer’s ePAY program. The forms of payment inside include credit card, debit card or electronic check. You may track your application progress by logging back into your dashboard. Once your CCL application is approved, and your dashboard reflects “Active,” please allow 7-10 days for the mailing of the card. The Department has 90 days to process applications with valid fingerprints and 120 days for applications submitted without valid fingerprints. Also be mindful that if you submit your renewal application prior to expiration, your card will remain in an ACTIVE status while processing your application. If you allow your card to expire, and you wish to apply for a new CCL, a 16-hour training certificate will be required.
Additional questions concerning the application process can be answered by reviewing the back of this page or by visiting the Department’s website at www.ispfsb.com and selecting “Frequently Asked Questions.”
Firearms Services Bureau
Illinois State Police
The back side of the concealed carry license renewal letter sent by the Illinois State Police reads…
Illinois State Police
Tips for Completing your Concealed Carry License Renewal Application
- Use a computer, visit the website www.ispfsb.com to renewal your application.
- Mobile devices and iPads may result in errors during the application processing.
- Click on the yellow Enter button under the concealed carry (CCL) heading.
- If you have not visited the website since March 2015, select: Register Now
- Create your username or user ID. The username must be a minimum of 5 characters. It is extremely important you create a username you can remember.
- Create a password. Your password will not only be used to log-in to your dashboard, but will be used to create a digital signature later in the application. The password must be a minimum of eight characters and include the following:
- 1 capitalized letter
- 1 lowercase letter
- 1 number, AND
- 1 specialized character
NOTE: You can reset your password if you do not recall it – click on Forgot Password. However, if you do not have the correct Username, the security questions will not populate and you cannot move forward. You will need to call 217-782-7980 or email Ask_CCL@isp.state.il.us for assistance.
- Once you are registered, you should see your dashboard – including both your Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) Card status and your CCL status.
- Click the Renew button.
- Keep in mind that if your FOID card is not in an active status, you will be unable to renew your CCL.
- Your CCL address must match your Driver’s License or state-issued identification card. Please make any updates with the Illinois Secretary of State prior to renewing. https://www.ilsos.gov/addrchange.
- If you submitted fingerprints with your initial application and they were valid, your renewal application will continue to be processed under 90 days. If you wish to submit your fingeprints during your renewal application, you may do so by providing a TCN from an authorized Livescan vendor. Fingerprints must have been taken for the purpose of a CCL to be validated.
- A recent photograph will be needed to be uploaded and attached. Photos standards include:
- Head and Shoulders View
- Taken within the last 30 days
- the face should not be obstructed
- Upload the 3-hour Renewal Training Certificate
Payment can be made with a credit card, debit card or electronic check (routing number and account number)
- Payments are collected by the state of Illinois Treasurer’s ePay program.
- A service fee of 2.25% will be applied for credit cards and debit cards.
- A service fee of $0.50 will be applied for electronic check payments.
You can check your application status by logging back into your dashboard.
- The status of “Under Review” will be displayed while the application is processed and the card moves through the queue.
- The status of “Rejected” means your application requires corrections.
- The status of “Active” means your card has been printed and mailed. Please allow 7-10 days for mailing.
- The status of “Denied” means your application has been denied and you will be receiving a letter with additional information. Please wait to call until you receive your letter.